Saturday, August 8, 2009

Zucchini bounty

We came back from vacation to an overgrown garden chock full of all sorts of tomatoes and zucchini ready for picking. After a full day of weeding and picking we have sat down to munch on our day's work.
I have been dying to try stuffed zucchini blossoms ... So today's recipe is inspired by the book "pumpkins and squash" by Kathleen Desmond Stang.
I am a bit impatient when it comes to recipes ...
the mathematical rigidness one needs to follow...
So here is my easy version...

Stuffed squash blossoms

6-12 zucchini blossoms
Herbs (I used fresh basil leaves)
Salt and pepper to taste
An egg lightly beaten
Strips of tasty cheese that melts well ( I used mozarella but Brie or gruyere would be great)
A couple of spoons of flour (for coating)
Olive oil for sauteeing

Open each blossom gently and stuff a small piece of cheese wrapped in a basil leaf or what ever fresh herb you love.
Dip the blossom into the egg mixture and then roll it in the flour.
On a heated pan with olive oil, toss the blossoms in and let them lightly brown/ cook turning them to cook all sides.
Enjoy!!



























Served with honeypie's cherry tomatoes!!









And with the zucchini's I made a slight variation on the "tortilla espanola" which calls for potatoes and eggs. It's an egg and potato frittata. I added our zucchini and it gave it a sweet undertone. I also added fresh Rosemary and tossed in our golden heirloom tomatoes.

Delicious!









*** Post From My iPhone
^_^ birdycake on the go!

1 comment:

  1. Yummy! These look great! We bought squash blossoms at the market in Italy now I will have to look for some here at home! Maybe grow my own! happy summer harvest!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails