Sunday, December 13, 2009

Holiday Flapjacks...

Ok...
I'm feeling the holiday spirit AND due to this lovely sweet feeling... I feel compelled to share with you a secret...
Our secret and THE secret to a good flap Jack!
You might think this is funny or not nessesary BUT...
If you like a good Sunday pancake (we do) , and you like making them from scratch , (we do) and you love a nice fluffy not too bread-y or dense pancake.., then by all means... Read on!
I would say comfortably... That I might be a carb expert... I'm talking bread (the best is a french baguette baked IN France), bread pudding , (the best is made in New Orleans with bourbon and caramelized pecans), French toast ( the best was made in a little dinner in the west village of NYC called "mantus" and I can't tell you exactly why or how all I know is that they used challah bread and they were Greek!)... The mysteries of bread has led me to a life time of searching for the perfect pancake... And look no further my friend.
I think a buttermilk makes the best flapjack and here is a pretty good recipe... Now if you know a better one by all means... Email it to me...
That would be soooooooo Nice and full of the good ol' Christmas spirit!

Buttermilk flapjacks
(I am listing the ingredients on order you should be adding them)

2 eggs
2 cups of buttermilk
2 tsp of baking powder
1/2 tsp of baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup sugar
3 tb of unsalted butter melted and cooled
Whisk together
And
Add 2 cups of all purpose flour
Blend/mix only until the wet is well mixed with the dry ... It should remain a bit lumpy.

Now for the good part... ( otherwise known as the golden rule)
1.Overmixing the batter will result in too dense pancakes
2.Letting the batter rest a bit allows the gluten to relax, making the pancake more tender
3.Keeping the griddle at a medium temperature is best. Too hot and they will burn, too cold and they will not rise.
And 4. Know when to flip ! The pancakes are done when bubbles begin to rise and the edges of the pancakes begin to brown!
And if you are using a pancake mold...
The secret is to oil the molds with canola oil spray and spoon the batter little by little into the molds with a small spoon making sure to spread the batter into all the nooks... BUT do not overfill!!!!

*You can add pecans or berries to your batter and if you are feeling naughty ...
Chocolate chips!!!



















Enjoy!!!!!


-Post From My iPhone
^_^ birdycake on the go!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails