Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Soft pretzel pumpkins

There's something very evocative about the deliciousness of a soft salty pretzel, specially smothered with spicy mustard. It talks to me about 80's music concerts with cheap beer, cold winter nights in NYC, and that darn "take me out to the ball game" song.
So imagine my joy when I found what has got to be the world's easiest pretzel recipe ever!!
I'm going to share it with you, because you know you love a good pretzel and it might bring you back memories too, whether Duran Duran, Pat Benatar or the Yankees....

Our soft pretzels here are Halloween inspired.

Soft pretzels

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

1.Sprinkle 1 package of yeast ( the little ones 1/4 oz) onto 3/4 of a cup of warm water. Add a tablespoon of sugar and stir. Let it stand for about 10 minutes. It will become foamy .
2.Put 2 cups of flour and 1 tsp of salt into a bowl. Add the yeast mixture.
3.Knead the dough until smooth.
4.Roll pieces of dough into ropes or what ever shape you want them to be.





5.Make fun shapes . (Here we are making a pumpkin)




6.Beat one egg with a fork and brush the tops of the pretzels with the egg. Sprinkle with corse salt.




7.Bake at 400* for about 10-15 minutes depending on the size of your pretzel. Or until golden brown.








- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

4 comments:

  1. Oh! I am so doing this with the kids! Thanks for the recipe. (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope they were fun to make too and delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Ms. Birdycake! Thanks for this post. My husband was just asking me the other day if I could make homemade pretzels and I told him only if I found a good recipe...and voila! Here it is...on your blog! Awesome!

    Thanks again!

    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks tiffany! tell me if you liked it! Its a "no-boil" method, quick and easy and its good for making with kids. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails